07 May, 2007

Salut!

Hi, my name is Brian and instead of starting my career (what others in America would call, my life), I decided to join the United States Peace Corps. I've decided to start this blog as a way to communicate to those who love me, and those who don't, and any between. Rather than starting this at the beginning of the application process, I decided to start this after accepting an invitation to serve (you can thank me for sparing you the boring and painfully long process it takes to get in).
So, here's a little bit to get you up to speed. I graduated Cornell College in May 2003 with a BA in philosophy. Having no clue about what to do with my life, I started studying English Education at Iowa State University. With a mere one year left before graduating and doing the whole High School English teacher thing, I decided to turn on, tune in, and drop out (at least in my own way). I turned on my mind to the fact that I was not happy at Iowa State or with what I was doing in life; I tuned in to who I was and what I believed; I dropped out of Iowa State to go serve others who need the help far more.
For years I'd always thought, "My God, there is so much that needs done in the world--so many who need help. We have the resources, why can't we figure this whole thing out." But then I realized, I am a resource available to help. I figured I'd have to put up or shut up now; or as one favorite, old saying goes, "$#!+ or get off the pot." Now it's May 2007 and in less than one month, I will be in Moldova (check your maps now, I'll wait). I will be teaching English as a Foreign Language in Moldova until the summer of 2009.
I can't guarantee I'll update this with any regularity. I have yet to know how much internet access I'll have. Furthermore, I also know myself well enough to admit that I will probably neglect this blog more often than not. So please be patient and check back from time to time. Your kind and loving thoughts will always be appreciated as I explore someone else's corner of the universe.

Peace, Love, and Happiness,
Brian

2 comments:

themuths said...

Brian -

Best of luck in Moldova, we know you've waited WAY too long for the chance to be peaceful... :-)

Miss you & love you!
Anderson & Liz

Anonymous said...

Best of luck and happiness in your travels... and all the help you will hopefully give to all the people who may need it ..
take care.. and be safe
Kim D.